Sunday, April 12, 2009

Just a bubble hanging above my head

Like most people, i think about random stuff minutes before i surrender to the zzz monster.
Last night, i suddenly had the urge to head down to escape theme park. I miss the thrills and the heart drop rides. The only 2 rides that i feared most would be the water slide and viking. Yes, i said viking!! I know that is noob shit to everyone and most people think it's like sitting on a huge see-saw, but to me, my heart always drop whenever it swings down!!! =/ I hate rides that gives me a feeling of sudden drop, like my heart is still up there somewhere but i'm down already.

Anyway, it then led me to think why do people like to create roller coasters and rides that are near vertical, hangs you above the sea or lets you see the world below you? Is it the degree of thrill or are they trying to show people how fearful and scary it is to jump off from somewhere high? Are they trying to prevent suicide or the other way round?

Seriously, what do most people think of when they are sitting or standing at the edge of a tall building, attempting to commit suicide? Do they think about the reasons why they want to end their lives? Or think about their friends and family? That should probably be the first stage. I reckon the second stage would be the fear, and then those who have not sat on roller coaster that drops you down vertically will most probably take a step back eventually. As for those who had, they might think that hey, it's simply roller coaster w/o any seat and seat belt. It'll be hell fun and trilling if you just close your eyes, and of cos those are the ones who will take a step forward. So, think about it when you sit triller rides like these. A word of caution is not to sit too often as you might get use to it and when it comes to a point in time where suicide seems to be the best solution, you would take a step forward. Also, beware and show more concern to those that do not fear such rides; those who dare to raise their hands up high. They may look like a hero within that few seconds but they may disappear anytime if not enough love, care and concern is showered upon them.

That said, all the above points are just a penny of my thought. No references made and no particular hidden message. Just getting my neurons connected after i studied a night on sociology. I shall then end with a quote!! Peter Berger said that a sociologist should "see the general in the particular" and "see the strange in the familiar". I particularly loved all his quotes. =D

0 comments:

Post a Comment